The Data Protection Act (DPA) 2018 is the UK’s updated data protection law which became effective on 25th May 2018 and was recently amended on the 1st January 2021 to reflect the United Kingdom’s exit from the EU. It sits alongside the UK GDPR and replaces the Data Protection Act 1998. The United Kingdom is […]
If you wish to use Google Adsense on your website, you need to comply with Google’s Privacy and Security required content as set out below.
Listen to this article in audio format
Google’s use of advertising cookies enables it and its partners to serve ads to your users based on their visit to your sites and/or other sites on the Internet.
On this page
What is Google Adsense?
Google Adsense is a cost per click program, which allows website owners to run advertisements which are targeted at the content of the site and its users. Basically each time a person clicks on the advisement the website earns a small commission. Currently the website owner will earn 68% of the revenue for that click and Google receives the other 32%.
What does this mean for you?
- How to opt out of cookie tracking
- Specific clauses as stated by Google
- Definition of a cookie: A cookie is a text file placed on the browser of a user and is stored there so the website will remember you between pages and/or sessions.
- What cookies your website uses: Some common types of cookies that your website may use are Functionality Cookies, Sessions Cookies and Persistent Cookies.
- Why you use them: What is your purpose for using cookies?
- How to opt out of them: Details of how to opt out of cookies and how the service may be affected if the user chooses to opt out.
Opting Out of Cookie Tracking
Specific Clauses as Stated by Google
Special Requirements for EU Residents
The above points are required for any website or business regardless of where they are located or who their customers or users are. However when it comes to residents of the European Union, there are some special requirements in order for you to comply with the GDPR.
- The type of cookies you use and the type of cookies used by third party sites
- Information regarding the placement of cookies and the reason your site is using them